Monday, February 13, 2012

Hunting for Book Treasures


The other day I was in a consignment shop strolling down the aisles, browsing at knick knacks that other folks have cast away.  However I am always drawn to the book section.  I enjoy looking at what authors are prevalent and what types of books people are willing to part with.  Sometimes you can find a bargain, but most often I find out of date atlases and travel books as well as well read paperbacks by John Grisham and the like. Over the years I have come across items that are valuable to me but not necessarily valuable. One of my favorite finds was a copy of my second grade reading book, a part of the Scott Foresman” Dick and Jane” series. I have shared it with the reading certification program class at a state university as an example of how students used to be taught how to read. Other finds include part of a series of the works of Mark Twain (incidentally, my favorite American author), and a two volume set about the history of the White House.
I encourage teachers to visit used books stores, yard sales, flea markets, and library sales to search for low cost treasures that can be useful in the classroom. You may find workbooks, reference books, picture books and even old magazines that can be cut up and used for scrapbooks, posters and such.
A number of years ago, I rescued a set of middle school mathematics books from a school dumpster and found a school in another state who desperately needed them. I paid for the shipping and was pleased to know that the books had a second life.
Take the opportunity to be creative and resourceful. You never know what positive and long reaching impact you will have on your students. And it just might from something that you picked up at a yard sale that ignites the spark of curiosity in your students. Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment